Search This Blog

Friday, February 25, 2011

Stubborn Teenagers - 16 and 14

Stubborn Teenagers, what a frustrating experience! As I searched online for a quick solution, I found most articles only selling the information or just repeating what others have already said. I think it is funny, they all seem to start out as "the teenage years are a difficult time..." No really? I think most of us have figured that part out already, thus the reason for searching for solutions.

Sign Baby Care and Lost Kids by Russ and Lori

My son is in 10th grade, was doing well, getting decent grades and then got into a class he quickly realized he couldn't understand and couldn't get out of. He quietly made his own decision to just not do the work at all and fail the class. When checking the grades online, I found the F, discussed it with him and the teacher had emailed me almost the same day to state his problems and her willingness to work with him.

Problem: he is set on not doing the work or learning it. He has disengaged himself since we took the cell phone away and gaming systems (normal thing to do when child is spending hours on that and failing a class, which they regain those things once the grade is passing.) Right after taking the "lifelines away" he had an immediate panic attack and we had an ER visit.

Shortly after that, he took the game systems out of his room himself. On another night he took a lot of stuff out of his room to put it in the trash. In between those times, he refuses to eat at times. Although I have heard him eat later or the next morning. I also laid off of expecting him to sit down at the table for now. Hoping that would take the fire out of his refusal technique.

Some websites say this is the crisis point, so I am searching for a child psychologist and a tutor to help him mentally and to pass the class. I will give an update on this one as soon as I have more feedback and hopefully get passed this frustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment